Monday, December 12, 2011

Back from the dead

I've been thinking I might get back into blogging again, not because anyone reads this because they probably don't but for the heck of it I guess. I tried Facebook for a while and decided I wasn't a fan. Since my blog is open to the world I guess I'll follow my old rules of not mentioning my kids names or uploading their pictures. Anyway, I didn't look when my last post was but I'm guessing at least a year ago. Z and I bought a couple different dogs only to realize we aren't cut out for puppies. For the record he was just as sick of them as I was if not more. For quite a while he had his fish and I had my parakeet. My chirpy little bird has always irritated him because it's so small and can't talk. Really it's an adorable little bird though. Well that wasn't the point, the real point was that last Friday we bought two Eclectus'. They're beautiful parots and one thing really cool about this bird species is that most parots have to be sexed to know if you have a male or female. Not so with these guys. The males are a beautiful bright green and the females are red and blue. Our birds came from a dirty house filled with smoke and so our pretty birds stink. Nontgeless we love them. They are very sweetly tempermented and a fun addition to our family. Their names are Oliver (Ollie) and Roxanne (Roxi). They are supposed to be great talkers but so far ours bark and honk. Christmas is almost here and we're almost ready. Going to spend some time with my aunt and uncle shortly for the holiday. Also trying to make our own family traditions still. So far we have our Advent Wreath (a Catholic thing), setting up our tree late, no lights on the house (one day we'd like to change that..), big candy bars for kids, not too many presents, and I think that's it. I wish we had a good Christmas eve tradition and a yummy breakfast tradition. Well it's getting late and I don't want to outdo myself in my blogging. So goodnight blog world, I might see you again sometime. We'll see.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rachel,
It’s nice to see you blog again. It lets me know that you’re all still alive over there. I know, I know, I could come over and be more social, but I think you may have noticed by now that I’m not the most social person, but that’s okay.
I do miss seeing you and Z on facebook, but I understand that you didn’t like it and totally respect that. Some days that’s all the social interaction I get.
We don’t really have any Christmas traditions at our house either so we’ve been talking about that lately too.
I have decided to “celebrate” Three Kings Day or the Feast of the Epiphany on January 6th, marking the 12 days after Christmas (that I believe it’s the catholic church) where that is the day to take all the decorations down.
Other than that the only *real* tradition we have is spending it with the Pears family. Sometimes I feel like that is the only day during the entire year where I really see anyone. But that has been the same for years. It used to be The McDermott family Christmas party, but now that that family has gotten so big it’s just easier to have it just be us.
Anyway, now that this comment has gotten so long that I probably should just email you instead… Here are some KSL articles that I have read this week. I think that maybe if I ever do have kids that I might do some of these ideas, but with it just being me and John it doesn’t seem so pressing to have “traditions.”

Christmas Traditions:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=18447187&nid=1010&title=5-christmas-traditions-to-make-the-season-fun

Christmas Books:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=18449396&nid=1011&title=12-classic-kids-books-to-get-into-the-christmas-season

Unknown said...

by the way it's totally cool that you have parrots now. we'll have to come over and see them.

also, I have been wondering the last little while when you and keith were going to go out so you could bring Natalie and Ryan to my house for me to play with?

also also... John and I are looking a houses to buy. Yay!

Jessica Pears said...

Welcome back. :)