Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Long day...

Today has been a long day. I had a productive morning which always seems to make a tiring night. Somehow kids know when you're really tired and put on their worst behavior. It's been fun.

I also found out (but am not shocked to learn) that I didn't know almost everything about parrots. Come to find out, my birds are completely unhealthy birds. You can tell if a bird is healthy in their wing color, their beak color, and also in their beak shape and length. Having black in their coloring is a sign of malnutrition. Same with any discoloration of their beaks and when they malnourished their beaks grow longer and jagged. Eclectus's of all parrots are excellent talkers at a very early age unless they are either malnourished or neglected or both. I've read up on diet and we're on our way to getting healthy, however it will take about a year to see any progress...which is also how long it will take my birds to get the cigarette stench out of their feathers. Needless to say, I'm still glad I saved my birds from the hell they were living in, but I sure wish I hadn't paid as much.

No comments: