Monday, January 25, 2010

Yes, I am a dog killer

I've heard it said that millions of people would keep their family dog after it bit one of their children.  Not only am I not one of these people, I think that idea is wrong.  I believe that the parents should protect the children and not the dogs, and that the safety of the kids should always come first.  I also believe that it is selfish to choose to have the dog remain in the house while the child is not free to roam any longer.

This was the case in our house.  I made a decision to make sure that my children, all of them, are protected above the dogs in our household.  I took the dogs to the pound to be put down when I finally had the realization that I had put Keith's desire to keep the dogs above the safety of the kids.  In doing this I know that quite a few people will feel that I'm mean and callous when they find out that I took the dogs despite Keith's feelings.  This has caused quite a rift in our marriage, however I'll spare the details in this aspect.

What I would like everyone to know, despite how wonderful the dogs are, Precious has tried to nip at and has growled at Natalie several times.  You may not know this but not only has she bit several adults, she's also bit a kid before.  It was one of Keith's friends kids.  As everyone already knows, Jersey has bit one of the neighbor girls on the hand and Karlie twice on the leg hard enough to leave bruises.  The dogs have been locked up for the most part since the bite happened, however he has still been allowed out around Karlie and the other kids off leash since.  What you may not know is that since the dog bite he has tried on several occasions to bite Karlie again threw the kennel bars.  We didn't see who tore up the role of paper towels in the bathroom, but Karlie was jumping up and down being happy and hyper and Jersey got mad, freaked out and acted like he wanted to tear her apart and then we found a roll of paper towels shredded in the bathroom immediately after.  He too has tried to nip Natalie.  He's also pinned Precious down and bit her uncontrollably.  And he has bit Keith since the incident.  Karlie was not allowed to come downstairs to the main level of the house without making sure she was safe from the dogs first.  She was also the one to get in trouble for acting like a happy, silly, eight year old because that is the action that made Jersey want to eat her face off.  I'd also like to remind everyone that when he did bite her, she had done absolutely nothing, not even acting hyper, to entice him to bite her.  She simply leaned over Natalie while Natalie was in her walker.

I regret that I didn't take action against the dogs sooner.  I should have been a better mother before.  Some of you may still be mad at me, I know Keith is.  I'm disappointed that my husband wasn't able to put us first.  He knows everything I've already mentioned because he lives with it but is too blinded for the love of his "children" to see that anything I've stated has any bearing on the dogs being put down.  In his view I simply did it out of spite.  Maybe all of you believe this too.  Fine.  Believe what you will, my kids are now safe.

2 comments:

M.O.M. said...

Girl, you do what you got to do. I think it is sad to have to put them down but it sounds to me like you have had no choice. I am sorry it has caused contention in your house. Children should definately come before animals.

Unknown said...

That is sad.. but They are only dogs after all. Even if Keith did spend a rediculous amount of mony on them.
Your kids are more important then the dogs, and so is your marrage. Maybe you could get him a new puppy that will be raised with the kids so that they can all get along.